By Aakanksha Nigam
On account of International Coastal Clean Up Day 2022, the Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Govt of India is organizing ‘CHENNAI COASTAL CLEANUP AWARENESS 6K RUN 2022’ on September 17th.
Dr. L. Murugan, Minister of State, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and will be inaugurating the awareness run.
It is an initiative to generate public awareness about the importance of Coastal Clean up.
The 6KM run will start from Olcott Memorial Higher Secondary School Ground, Besant Nagar, Chennai, from 5 am onwards.
All registered participants are to receive a T-shirt, Certificate, and Medal for all finishers, Refreshments, etc.
There are cash prizes & medals for the first 10 Winners in Men’s and Women’s Categories.
1st Prize: INR 8,000/-, 2nd Prize: INR.6,000/-, 3rd Prize: INR.5,000/-, 4th Prize: INR.4,000/-, 5th Prize: INR.3,000/-, 6th Prize: INR.2,000/-, 7th to 10th Prize: INR.1,000/- each.
The run is being organized to raise awareness about the following issues:
- Our planet is choking on plastic.
- One million plastic bottles are purchased every minute around the world.
- At least 267 different species of marine wildlife are known to have suffered from entanglement or ingestion of marine debris.
- Plastic waste makes up 80% of all marine pollution and around 8 to 10 million metric tons of plastic end in the ocean each year.
- Research states that, by 2050, plastic will likely outweigh all fish in the sea.
While talking to Littoral Communications, National Fisheries Development Committee Member, Semmalar (A) E.Sekar said, “The preparations are going great and we are really excited for the run. We hope to see maximum participation in this run for awareness.”